This must make Panera Copycat Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Barley Soup is perfect for a cold winter’s day!
I bought a bag of barley a few weeks back and wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it. I had taken out a package of frozen chicken breasts from the freezer on Sunday with again no clue what it would become. Well, today is a hardy soup day here in SW Ohio.
We a few inches of snow yesterday and the temperatures being in the teens for a week. The meteorologists think we are going to miss the mega-storm hitting the East this weekend. I couldn’t think of a better dinner than a big steamy bowl of soup with stick to your ribs barley on a cold snowy day.
I found a recipe for Panera Chicken Barley soup and modified it quite a bit with ingredients I had on hand to create my soup. I didn’t have mushrooms so I added a can of low-fat cream of mushroom soup for the flavor, and to add some creaminess along with the barley.
I also added a can of creamed corn. Why creamed corn, well because I had it and had absolutely no other use for it. I had bought the creamed corn to use in my Jalapeño Bacon Corn Muffins but never used it.
This recipe is fairly simple and quick for a slow cooker recipe. It takes a few minutes of prep to sear the chicken and par-cook the veggies. But after that small amount of work just throw it in the slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours.
Finish off with a little dill and lemon juice. Serve with a salad and some crusty bread to keep the cold weather at bay.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 oz) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 oz) can creamed corn, optional
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. dried rosemary, v
- 1 1/2 pearl barley such as Bob Red Mill
- 1 tbsp. dill weed, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme
- Add chicken to skillet and brown on both sides, about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Salt vegetables
- Add the wine and simmer over high heat until almost all the liquid evaporates, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom, creamed corn, broth, barley, and rosemary. Bring to boil.
- Transfer the pan contents to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook the soup on low for 4-5 hours.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a cutting board; shred the chicken
- Stir the shredded chicken into the soup along with the dill, lemon juice,
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 30 minutes on low.
-First published by Quinn Caudill for dadwhats4dinner.com ©2016 Revised ©2018
-My recipe is not a true copycat but a modified version of Panera's Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup. I added cream of mushroom and creamed corn to my version.
-I also made it a little healthier by only using chicken breasts.
I will be bringing my Panera Copycat Creamy Chicken Barley Soup recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Check out my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
Check out some of my other Slow Cooker recipes!