Crock Pot Chicken Un-Fried Steak!
I know when you hear chicken fried steak the first thing that comes to mind is having a heart attack from all the fat. The second, if your get past the first, is the mess of frying the breaded steak.Well this is my healthier version of chicken fried steak. In my version I bake the cube steak, in the oven, at high heat for 10 -15 minutes, to get a nice crisp coating. I then place the steaks in the crock pot with some onions and fat-free chicken gravy. The steaks stay crispy, moist and extremely tender. Serve with some egg noodles and biscuits and you are in business.This Crock Pot Chicken Un-Fried Steak is incredibly simple with a little prep work the night before. Using cube steak this meal can feed a family of 5 for about 10 bucks. Hard to beat that for the price!
- 6 oz cube steaks 4-5
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp seasoned salt such as [Lawrys | http://www.mccormick.com/Lawrys/Flavors/Spice-Blends/Seasoned-Salt]
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 jar [Heinz Fat Free Chicken Gravy | http://www.heinzgravy.com/flavors/fat-free-classic-chicken.aspx]
- Egg Noodles or Mashed Potatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 475°
- Lightly season cube steaks with salt and pepper to taste.
- In large bowl combine flour and next six ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk eggs and water.
- Dip steaks into egg mixture and remove excess
- Dredge steaks in flour mixture and press bread crumbs into steak. Shake off excess. Set aside.
- Heat lightly greased pan in oven for 5 minutes. Place steaks on heated pan and lightly spray steask with cooking spray.
- Bake steaks for 10 to 15 minutes, turning half way until browned and crispy.
- Spray crock pot with cooking spray and place half of sliced onion in the bottom
- Layer steaks over onions. Add remaining onions and pour jar of gravy over top. (TIP: Add about 2 tablespoons of water to gravy jar. Close lid and shake vigorously. Add to crock pot)
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
[ctt title=”This Crock Pot Chicken Un-Fried Steak is healthier and easier version of the southern staple chicken fried steak.” tweet=”Check out Crock Pot Chicken Un-Fried Steak I found at http://wp.me/p6nyGi-12v #slowcooker” coverup=”8bfPi”]
I also will be bringing this recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Check out some of my other Cube Steak and Crock Pot Recipes