There is nothing better on a cold day than a nice warm bowl of White Chicken Chili made with chicken, white beans, cumin, mild chilies and other spices.
I love to make chili. I have been perfecting my Texas Meat gravy competition chili recipe for years: click here for the recipe. Quinn’s Texas Chili “Meat Gravy”
I am amazed how many different chili recipes are on the web. Texas Style no beans, with beans, white chili with ground turkey or chicken and types of stews which are chili in name only.
I live near Cincinnati where chili means something totally different from the rest of the country.Cincinnati chili (or “Cincinnati-style chili”) is a regional style of chili con carne characterized by the use of seasonings such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice and chocolate. It is commonly served over spaghetti or as a hot dog sauce, and is normally of a thin, sauce-like consistency, unlike most chili con carne.
Here is a link to Bon Appetit Cincinnati Style Chili recipe.
Enough of the Cincinnati Chili., here is my recipe for White Chicken Chili. A great alternative to red chili or my Habanero Black Bean Chili!
Follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Twitter – Google + – Instagram
- 2 14 oz cans Great Northern Beans. Drained and rinsed. You can use 1 lb. dry beans follow soaking directions on package
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves optional
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked diced chicken. See recipe below:
Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onions to oil and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, green chilies and seasonings, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth to pot. Bring to boil cook for 5 minutes.
Lower heat, add chicken and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, fresh cilantro, chopped onion and crackers.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2015
Cooked chicken for chili or other recipes that call for cooked chicken:
- 4 in chicken breast. Skinless boneless or bone-
- Enough water to cover chicken
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin or whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Place the chicken in a saucepan large enough to hold the chicken pieces comfortably.
- Add enough cooking liquid to cover the chicken.
- If desired, add next five ingredients for flavoring the liquid and chicken.
Bring to boiling on medium-high heat; reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink (170° F).
- Cooking Times:
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts: cook about 30 minutes
- Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves: cook 15 to 20 minutes
- Skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces: cook about 10 minutes
- Allow chicken to cool before chopping.
- Strain cooking liquid to use for white chicken chili instead of 14 oz chicken broth.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2017
I will be bringing my White Chicken Chili recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
You might also like my;
Game Day Black Bean Habanero Chili
p style=”text-align: center;”>
We eat chili once a month. This would be a nice change. Thanks for sharing your recipe on the Merry Monday Link Party!