Easter is behind us and Spring is in full swing. The kids are on spring break and are already telling me how bored they are. When my kids go back to school next week they will only have 32 days of school left for the year. Where did the time go. Soon it will be Mother’s Day then Memorial Day then before you know it it will be July 4th. Wow how the time flies.
So as you are starting to plan your menus for Mothers Day and summer cookouts make sure you add this Green Chili Cornbread Salad to the mix. My Cornbread Salad recipe is a great easy dish to bring to your next cookout or potluck. It is amazing how well the cornbread mixes in with this layered salad. People might look at you funny when you tell them the name but not after tasting it. Add jalapeno if you would like it a little more spicy.
If you like what you see, please sign up to receive all my new recipes via email. I will never sell your information and I will not spam your inbox. I usually send out a newsletter once a week.
- 3 cups cornbread cubed (See recipe below)
- 1 packet buttermilk ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup low-fat Helmanns mayo
- 1 small head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 cup sliced red and yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber sliced and halved
- 3 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1 small sweet onion sliced
- 2 cups corn and black bean mix ( I use Krogers Private Selection Zesty Corn and Black bean Blend. Substitute 1 cup canned black beans drained and 1 cup corn kernels)
- 2 cups cheddar or jack cheese finely shredded
- Reserved bacon
- 2 green onions sliced, (green parts only)
- Bake cornbread as directed below. Allow to cool completely before using in salad.
- In small bowl, combine ranch dressing mix, buttermilk and mayo, blend well and refrigerate until ready for salad assembly.
- For salad, place cornbread cubes in bottom of trifle bowl or other glass bowl.
- Layer on lettuce and next six ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the top and spread evenly.
- Top with cheese, bacon and green onion.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Updated March 2016
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled, divided (reserve 1 tbsp bacon grease)
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (such as King Arthur Flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream You could also use 1/2 cup no-fat plain Greek yogurt or a mix of both
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I use 1% could also use buttermilk)
- 2 oz cans diced green chiles drained, 7
- 1/2 cup cheddar or jack cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Grease 9 x 13 baking dish with 1 tablespoon reserved bacon grease.
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar.
- Mix in eggs and sour cream to butter/sugar mixture.
- With mixer speed on low, add the milk and dry ingredients, a 1/3 at a time, alternating between wet and dry. Do not over mix.
- Slowly add in green chiles, cheese and 1/2 cup chopped reserved bacon.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until browned and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving.
Updated March 2016
Great salad for potlucks or cookouts.
I also will be bringing my Cornbread Salad recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
If you want a pasta salad check out my Creamy Deviled Egg Layered Pasta Salad: