Orecchiette Pasta with Ham, Mushrooms and Peas can be served as either a main dish or a wonderful side for grilled pork chops or chicken. Simple and loaded with flavor!The weather is finally getting warm here in the Midwest. At least for a few days! Tonight I decided to grill some simple Italian dressing marinated pork chops. I try to grill year round, but not as much in the winter.
I decided to make a pasta side dish because we were out of potatoes and I had cooked rice the night before. For this dish I am using Orecchiette (little ears) pasta. Any type of pasta will do but is what I had in the pantry. This also could be a main dish. My kids love it.
I will be bringing my Orecchiette Pasta with Ham, Mushrooms and Peas to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
- 1 lb orecchiette pasta
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, I use unsalted
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, fresh also works
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 ounces ham, chopped (try not to use a sweet ham, prosciutto would work best)
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When heated add onion mushrooms and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, until soft but not browned, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and peas to the pan and cook 3 -5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the ham and cook 2 minutes. Lower heat to low.
- Add half and half, bring to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain pasta and add to cream mixture.
- Stir in remaining butter and cheese, heat on low until melted and combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2013
You might also like my: