A quick and easy weeknight meal without firing up the grill. Crock Pot BBQ Chicken has all of the flavor of the grill but made simple in the crock pot.If your family is like ours the weekdays are extremely busy. Our kids play soccer, baseball, gymnastics and our oldest referees. Needless to say providing a good healthy meal during the week is a challenge.
Earlier this week I wanted something different to cook in the crock pot. Often Tyson chicken is on sale at the local Kroger and so I will stock the freezer. I decided to use two packs of drumsticks and one package of thighs for this dish. Any combination of chicken pieces will work.
The great part of this recipe is you can put the chicken in the crock pot frozen. This is a great tip for any chicken crock pot dish. You might need to defrost the chicken a few minutes in the microwave. This will allow you to remove the chicken from its packaging and remove the skin.
I will be bringing my Crock Pot BBQ Chicken recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
- 4-5 lbs or 3 packages of skinless chicken pieces. I used legs and thighs
- 1 18 oz bottled barbecue sauce I use Sweet Baby Ray's
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Buns for serving
- Place skinless chicken in crock pot
- Mix together remaining ingredients
- Pour sauce over chicken reserving 1 cup
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, cool, then remove meat from bones and shred.
- Return meat to crock pot, cook on high for 1 hour.
- Remove meat with clotted spoon.
- Combine one cup reserved sauce with meat and serve on buns.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2013
You might also like my: