March is only four days away and the temperature this morning was “-19°” here in Southwest Ohio. The local school district, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to close or delay the start of school today. This despite the fact they we were closed everyday last week, including Thursday and Friday, when the morning temperature was a balmy -12°.
Maybe it’s the State mandated testing that needs to be completed this week and next. Don’t misunderstand me, I do not agree with “cold days”. The kids should have gone to school last Thursday and Friday. Our school board needs to figure out which criteria constitutes when it is too cold to have school. If it was cold enough Friday not to have school, why did they play the varsity basketball game that night. Go Figure!! We are raising a bunch of wimps. But I digress….
This weather is perfect for soups and stews. There are many versions of cheeseburger soup on the web. In my version I try to lighten the recipe a little by using Kraft 2% Velveeta cheese, fat-free half & half, 1% milk and low-fat sour cream.
I love this soup and so do my kids. I like to add all of the condiments you would add to a regular cheeseburger. It amazing how close it tastes to a good old fashion grilled cheeseburger. Summer can’t get here quick enough. 25 days until spring.
Enjoy the soup and keep thinking warm thoughts.
I usually double the recipe.
To make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup cook bacon, in large saucepan, until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. Add ground beef to same pan and brown over medium high heat. Drain the meat and set aside. Make sure you season the beef with salt and pepper. In the same saucepan, melt a tablespoon of butter and stir in next 4 ingredients. Saute for 10 – 12 minutes until veggies are tender.
Add 3 tablespoons butter; whisk in flour and stir constantly. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, bring to boil. (Tip: If you have an immersion blender, blend mixture for 30 – 60 seconds. This step is optional but makes a creamier soup). Stir in potatoes, cooked ground beef and return to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
Reduce heat to low, stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Heat and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Top with bacon, diced tomato, dill relish. ketchup and mustard. Trust me it works.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lbs. lean ground beef. (Tip: You could use ground turkey just be sure to season the ground turkey as it browns)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4-5 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half (You can substitute another 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper. Can use black pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Reserved bacon, crumbled
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- Dill relish
- In large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Add ground beef to same pan and brown over medium high heat. Drain and set aside. Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same saucepan, saute next 4 ingredients for 10 - 12 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Add 3 tablespoon butter; stir in flour. Stir constantly and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, bring to boil.
- (Tip: If you have an immersion blender, blend mixture for 30 - 60 seconds. This step is optional but makes a creamier soup).
- Stir in potatoes, ground beef and return to boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Heat and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
- Top with bacon, diced tomato, dill relish. ketchup and mustard. Trust me it works.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2015
I also will be bringing my Bacon Cheeseburger Soup recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
You might also like my;