When grilling isn’t an option, my Bacon Cheeseburger Bread Pudding Bake is a great alternative to a simple cheeseburger. All the flavors of a cheeseburger in an easy to make casserole!
Okay so I had bought a loaf of Italian bread the other day, but wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it. I know, how about just eat it! My kids have been complaining that we are have the same food over and over again. I’m not sure what to think, I am a food blogger and come up with new dishes each week. We hardly have the same dish twice. I think they are a little spoiled.
As my daughter said to me ” All we have is pork, beef, chicken, and fish.” I asked what she wanted “tofu”, I don’t get it. Since all we have is the same old same old, I decided to make up this Bacon Cheeseburger Bread Pudding Bake. My kids still looked at me weird. Which isn’t unusual. Actually this was a very easy make ahead recipe, that would be great for not only spoiled kids but also potlucks or church dinners.
If you serve it the way I did, with ketchup, mustard and pickles, it tastes just like a good old cheeseburger.
METHOD: Brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Cube bread and place half in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with cheese, beef/onion mixture and more cheese. Spread the rest of the bread cubes over the beef. Sprinkle the bacon and remaining cheese over bread. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour mixture evenly over bread. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour to let the egg/milk mixture soak into the bread. Bake for 35-40 minutes until puffy and golden brown. Serve with your favorite cheeseburger toppings.
Please don’t leave comments stating why didn’t I just make a cheeseburger?? You will sound like my kids and I get enough of that at home.
- 3 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 lb . ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 8 cups day old bread such as Italian herb or ciabatta torn into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef.
- Add onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain beef and onions; set aside. (TIP: Line a bowl or colander with paper towels. Pour ground beef into bowl to drain fat.)
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place half of bread in bottom of baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup cheese.
- Top with beef and onion mixture and another 1 cup cheese.
- Place remaining bread on top of beef.
- Top with bacon and remaining cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over bread.
- Allow to rest in fridge, covered, for 1 hour or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Uncover and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve with condiments.
First published by Quinn Caudill for dadwhats4dinner.com © May 2016
Prep time does not include resting time.
Please join me and bring your recipes and DIY projects to Throwback Thursday’s!
I also will be bringing my Bacon Cheeseburger Bread Pudding recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Quinn is the author, photographer and recipe designer over at DadWhats4Dinner. He enjoys cooking for family and friends and being creative in the kitchen. He makes ordinary everyday food extraordinary. He lives just north of Cincinnati with his wife of 24 years, three kids and three cats. His kids have well-developed palates and his youngest daughter is now working with him on the blog creating recipes for her own page “Cooking with Ella”. Follow Quinn | Dad Whats 4 Dinner on: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.