Slow Cooker Pork Chimichurri is my latest recipe using chimichurri sauce, except this one is way different than anything you would think about how to use chimichurri This is the 16th recipe in my yearlong series “26 weeks of slow cooker meals” make sure you check out all my easy slow cooker meals at my
This is the 16th recipe in my yearlong series “26 weeks of slow cooker meals” make sure you check out all my easy slow cooker meals at my Crock Pot Recipe page.
Chimichurri is one of the most delicious and versatile sauces around. It’s traditionally served with grilled steak and is an essential part of the Argentinian parilla, but it goes great with pork, chicken, and fish too.
Chimichurri works well as a marinade and is also delicious on vegetables. The chimichurri sauce made the perfect cooking liquid for Slow Cooker Pork Chimichurri. Here is a little more info on chimichurri sauce.
Chimichurri is made from finely chopped parsley, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and white or red wine vinegar. Additional flavorings such as paprika, cumin, thyme, lemon, basil, cilantro (coriander leaf) and bay leaf may be included. In its red version, tomato and red bell pepper may also be added. It can also be used as a marinade for grilled meat.
Chimichurri is available bottled or dehydrated for preparation by mixing with oil and water. Variants may replace the parsley with herbs such as coriander (cilantro) and culantro. Wikipedia
So usually chimichurri sauce is associated with grilled meats but I thought the flavor would go great in the crock pot. Besides making the chimichurri, this recipe is about as easy as it gets and you still get the wonderful fresh flavors of the sauce.
I made Mexican vermicelli to serve with the pork, substituting the chimichurri cooking sauce for the water or broth. Oh, my! This was the best ever and goes great as the side dish for the Slow Cooker Pork Chimichurri.
Follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Twitter – Google + – Instagram
- 2-3 lb pork sirloin roast
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot or half a red onion
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, optional
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 (7 oz) package La Moderna Vermicelli Pasta
- 1 onions, chopped
- cooking liquid from slow cooker
- To make chimichurri sauce, place all ingredients except oil in food processor.
- Process for 1 minute.
- Slowly add oil while processor is running.
- Process until oil is emulsified. Reserve 1/2 cup to serve with pork.
Place pork and chimichurri sauce in slow cooker. Rub sauce evenly over pork.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve with reserved Chimichurri sauce and Mexican vermicelli.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Sauce onion for 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooking liquid and finishing cooking according to package directions.
First published by Quinn Caudill for dadwhats4dinner.com © April 2016
Check out my other two posts using Chimichurri: