These healthy Grilled Chipotle Beer and Shrimp Tacos with avocado and rice are full of smokey spicy flavor and perfect for a light lunch when working outdoors in the summer.
I am doing my happy dance. Seriously I am. It is finally warm here in SW Ohio. I can get outdoors and work in my yard and garden.
April was so cold that I had no interest being outside. This spring was horrible. But finally, finally, it has warmed up.
For years I have grown a garden but since we moved into our new home, five years ago, I just didn’t have a good spot to place it. I also had more pressing outdoor jobs that needed to be completed.
I have a corner of my yard that I never cleaned out the brush and weeds. It is where I kept my woodpile and I just let it go. So, I decided to clean out the honeysuckle and turn this into the spot for my garden boxes I built this winter.
I love these boxes and will post the tutorial soon. I don’t need a big garden, basically it is a salsa garden with lots of herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. I can’t wait to incorporate these vegetables into my recipes.
I came up with this Grilled Chipotle Beer and Shrimp Tacos with avocado and rice for a healthy lunch while working on my landscaping and garden. The tacos are bursting with flavor and so easy to make on the grill using a foil pack. If you want to make the Shrimp Tacos healthier, skip the tortilla and make it a rice bowl.
The avocado is the perfect compliment to the smokey spicy chipotle shrimp. Get outdoors and enjoy the warm weather.
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup beer such as Mickalob ULTRA Pure Gold
- 1 lime halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado
- soft flour tortillas
- greek yogurt ranch optional
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Prepare a grill for medium heat.
- In a bowl mix together garlic, hot sauce, melted butter, spices, and beer.
- Add shrimp to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Lay out a piece of heavy-duty foil 12 inches by 18 inches. Fold the four sides up to create walls and spread the shrimp in the center of the foil.
- Pour shrimp and sauce into the foil pan,
- Cover with another large piece of foil and crimp and fold the edges together to seal tightly.
- Transfer the foil pack to the grill, close the lid and cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for a few minutes.
- Carefully tear the foil packet open, being careful not to let the escaping steam burn you.
- Add rice to tortillas and top with avocado slices and shrimp.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing, a squeeze lime and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2018
Recipe inspired by Food Network!
So what plans do you have to get outdoors this summer?
Check out more of my healthy grilled recipes;