We had our annual family reunion over the July 4th weekend. Now this is not your ordinary family reunion. The immediate family consists of 12 brothers and sisters. So this means with kids, grand kids and great grand kids the number usually totals around 70. The family has been getting together annually for 49 consecutive years, which is absolutely amazing.
Family is a big deal so this reunion lasts 3 days. It starts on Friday night with a grill out. Saturday we have a big dinner around 1:00. Everyone brings a dish, but we also chicken and sides catered. A good old southern fried chicken dinner. After dinner we have a family meeting and an auction to raise funds for next years gathering.For the auction, everyone donates items to be bid on. I donated my habanero jelly and it sold for a nice little profit. There is also games for the kids and adults. Around 6:00 we fire up the grill again and eat again. But wait there is more…. On sunday morning we get together again for a big country breakfast and I mean big. All of the favorites including biscuits, homemade gravy, bacon, sausage, pork chops, chocolate gravy, eggs and fruit.
Banana Streusel Coffee Cake
This year I decided to bring my Banana Streusel Coffee Cake for an alternative to all the southern goodness. The Banana Streusel Coffee Cake stayed extremely moist even though I had made it on Thursday, before we drove down to the reunion. I wrapped the cake in plastic wrap and stored it in the fridge until ready to serve. It was a big hit and everyone wanted the recipe. So my family here it is.
We had a great time and can’t wait to go back and see the family again next year. Make sure you take time to visit your extended family because we are not getting any younger and things happen in life. Four of the brothers had heart problems this year and two of the sisters have battled and beat breast cancer, including my mom. But unfortunately we lost one of our cousins to cancer at the young age of 59. So make time to visit and keep in touch because you never know what the future will hold.
I hope you enjoy my Banana Streusel Coffee Cake, perfect for breakfast or dessert.
Grease and flour a bundt pan; set aside, Mix bananas, cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl.
Mix on low for 30 seconds, then beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping the sides of bowl as needed. Mix nuts. brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Sprinkle half of streusel mixture into bottom of prepared bundt pan and then pour half of cake batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining streusel mixture and cover with remaining batter.
Take a knife and swirl through the batter. Bake at 325°F for 55-60 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 25 minutes, then invert onto rack and allow to cool completely. Drizzle with my cream cheese frosting recipe from my Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting.
What is your favorite flavor of coffee cake?
- 2 cup large ripe bananas smashed (about 1 )
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box vanilla instant pudding
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Click for cream cheese frosting recipe
- Grease and flour a bundt pan; set aside,
- In a stand mixing bowl, combine bananas, cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds, then beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping the sides of bowl as needed.
- Mix nuts,brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle half of streusel mixture into bottom of prepared bundt pan.
- Pour half of cake batter into pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining streusel mixture.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Swirl a knife in the batter in a figure 8 patterns through the layers.
- Bake at 325°F for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack for 25 minutes, then invert onto rack and allow to cool completely.
- Drizzle with cream cheese frosting.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2016
I also will be bringing my Banana Streusel Coffee Cake recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.