You will be the star at your next tailgate with this easy to make Walking Chili Cheese Dog recipe. All the great flavors of a cheese coney but no bun needed!
Are your Saturday and Sunday mornings set aside for one thing? Are you the person at the game 8 hours before kickoff, with the RV, television, and great food ready to go?
I love to tailgate but more importantly, I love tailgate food. I am the person who is always prepared with the grill, slow cooker and cooler ready to go at a moment’s notice.
The other day I was picking up supplies for the upcoming football season when I had a food epiphany. I saw a bag of corn chips and it made me think about how easy it is to serve walking tacos for tailgating.
But I thought, everyone makes the walking taco, so I decided to do it one better. I am from Cincinnati and chili cheese coneys are a big thing around these parts. So simple and no bun needed.
To make Walking Chili Cheese Dog:
Add the chili to a small slow cooker. Slice the hot dogs and add to the chili. Stir in a pouch of cheese sauce and cook until heated through.
To assemble: Carefully cut the top off a bag of Funyuns or other onion flavored rings. Lightly crush with your hands.
Pour in two ladles of chili cheese dog mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Add optional chopped onion and a dollop of sour cream.
What is your favorite tailgating recipe?
- 6-8 3/4 oz. bags Onion Flavored Rings such as Funyuns
- 1 8 oz. Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 15 oz. cans Chili (beans or no beans)
- 1 10 oz. package hot dogs or smoked sausage, fully cooked.
- 1 4 oz. Velveeta Cheese Sauce
- Diced onion
- Sour Cream
Add the chili, beans or no beans your choice, to a small crock pot.
- Slice the hot dogs and add to the chili.
- Stir in a pouch of cheese sauce and cook until heated thru.
- Carefully open bag of Funyuns or other onion flavored rings. Lightly crush with your hands.
- Pour in two ladles of chili cheese dog mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Optional: top with chopped onion and a dollop of sour cream.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2017