The taste of Italy comes alive in my Tuscan Chicken Burger. Full of Italian seasonings, topped with fresh mozzarella, garden tomatoes then served on grilled Italian crusty bread. Perfect alternative to a regular burger.
Sometimes I like to try something new like this recipe for Tuscan Chicken Burger which combines the great flavors of Italy. With the addition of the grilled bread, fresh mozzarella and tomatoes the burger taste like a chicken bruschetta sandwich. Yum!!
I made these burgers for a cookout Christie had for her employees. They are all a little picky on what they will eat. I try to expand others food horizons but still not make it so different they won’t enjoy the food.
I served my Tuscan Chicken Burger with a grilled margherita pizza and fried corn. I will share both of these recipes soon. I promise!! Everyone had a great time and loved the burgers. So the next time you want to try something new give these Tuscan Chicken Burger a try.
Tuscan Chicken Burger
First combine all ingredients for the patties in a large bowl. Stir together with a wooden spoon or your hands, just try not to overwork the mixture. Form 6 equal patties and place on a plastic wrap lined tray. Cover the patties with plastic wrap and chill or freeze until ready to grill.
The chicken patties tend to be a little loose and benefit from chilling or freezing before grilling. When ready to cook heat grill to medium high heat. Place a cast iron dutch oven on the grill and add the onions, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown. Set aside.
Oil the grill grates and place the patties on the grill. Cover and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, turning once. Lower heat and top the patties with a slice of tomato and a slice of mozzerralla. When cheese is melted remove the patties to a platter. Cover and keep warm. Rub bread slices with oil and place directly on grill. Toast slices 1-2 minutes per side.
To assemble your Tuscan Chicken Burger place lettuce on a slice of grilled bread. Top with burger patty and caramelized onions. Cover with top slice of bread. Enjoy!
What is your favorite burger?
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 lbs. . ground chicken
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasonings
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 large tomato, sliced thin
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella
- oil for grill and brushing bread
- chopped romaine lettuce (optional)
- In a large bowl combine chicken, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, Italian seasoning, oregano, garlic, salt and egg, with a wooden spoon.
- Try not to overwork the mixture.
- Form 6 equal patties and place on a plastic wrap lined tray.
- Cover the patties with plastic wrap and chill or freeze until ready to grill. (The chicken patties tend to be a little loose and benefits from chilling or freezing before grilling.)
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high.
- Combine the onions, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a cast iron skillet.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and place on the grill rack. The onions can also be made on the stove top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized.
- Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Brush the grill rack with oil.
- Place patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the internal temperature of the patties reaches 165°F (about 4-6 minutes per side).
- Once the burgers are cooked, turn down grill and place a slice of tomato on each patty.
- Top with a slice of mozzarella.
- When cheese is melted remove patties from grill. Set aside and keep warm.
- Brush each side of the sliced Italian bread with olive oil and place on grill rack to toast, turning once, so that both sides are lightly toasted.
- Place chopped lettuce on one slice of bread.
- Add the burger.
- Top with the caramelized onions and top slice of bread.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2016
I also will be bringing my Tuscan Chicken Burger recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.