So I try to provide lots of recipes for the crock pot. I love my crock pot and use it a few times a week, especially when the kids are in school and sports. Lots of people are afraid of their crock pot because foods often turn out dry or bland. Check out my Crock Pot page for general tips and safety guidelines for cooking great meals in your crock pot.
This recipe is not for some wonderful crock pot recipe but on the other hand, how to resurrect a crock pot dish that has dried out or just doesn’t taste great. I too have dinners that don’t turn out the way I expect. So that is when I get creative with what I have in the pantry and fridge to salvage a so so dish.
I have been building a deck, onto our home, for the past month. Last week I threw this pork roast in the crock pot with just 3 ingredients. I really wasn’t planning on posting it on the blog just trying to get dinner on the table, while I was working on the deck. Unfortunately I got busy and forgot about the meat until around 5:30.
Typically this is no big deal because my crock pot will switch to warm after the intial cook time has been reached but when I started the roast, early that morning, I did not set a cooking time so it cooked on low for about 9 hours. It was definitely done and a little dry.
That is when I decided to transform it into this Slow Cooker Pork Pot Pie. It turned out great but it is not easy to get great pictures of crock pot or pot pie dishes. I know every loves foodporn but this is just good comfort food for when things don’t go quite right in the cooking process.
- 1 2-3 lb pork roast. I use a sirloin roast from Costco
- 2 tbsp onion soup mix Homemade or packaged. See my recipe for homemade onion soup mix.
- 2 tbsp dry beef gravy mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups carrots sliced
- 2 premade pie crusts
- 2 cans low fat cream of chicken
- 1 package frozen vegetable mix of carrots broccoli, and cauliflower
- 1 package frozen rice. I used chicken flavored with carrots
- 1 tbsp egg + 2 of water
- Season pork with onion soup and gravy mix. Add pork and water to crock pot.
- Cook pork in crock pot for 5-6 hours.
- Shred pork and return to crock pot
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Add veggies, rice and cream of chicken soup to crock pot
- Heat on high for 10 min
- Stir and pour mixture into a greased 11*15 baking dish
- Thaw pie crust according to package direction
- Cut pie crust into strips
- Place pie crust strips over pork mixture in alternate layers
- Whisk egg and water together
- Brush crust with egg wash
- Bake uncovered for 25 for 30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]