Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting is a great use for all of your extra zucchini harvest. You will never know it is made with zucchini.
What to do…What to do…What to do with all that extra zucchini? Well, this recipe will make you want to grow more just so you can make these Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. Very easy and the kids will never know the recipe includes zucchini.
Most people have heard of using zucchini to make bread. In fact, you can use zucchini to make many sweet treats just like you can with carrots. When using zucchini remember to drain it and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
These bars taste like a spice cake with the addition of pumpkin pie spice and the use of pecans and dates.
You can substitute walnuts for the pecans and raisins or craisins for the dates. I personally like the use of dates in this recipe. The Zucchini bars would also be good made with black walnuts. Black walnuts have a very strong unique taste that you either love or hate. I have a few recipes using black walnuts that I need to share.
These bars would be perfect to take to a fall tailgate party or the teachers at school. The cream cheese frosting knocks them out of the park. They are also great for breakfast.
What is your favorite use for Zucchini?
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, drained, (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped dates, optional
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice (use can with juice not syrup)
- 4 oz. butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl combine on low speed applesauce, oil, sugar and eggs
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Slowly add to mixing bowl with mixer on low speed.
- Stir in zucchini, coconut, pecans, dates, vanilla and pineapple until batter is formed. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased or parchment lined 10x15-inch sheet pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely!
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until nice and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Beat until smooth and no visible chunks of cream cheese remains
- Spread on top of the cooled cake bars and serve or refrigerate for a few hours to allow frosting and bars to set up.
- Store bars in an airtight container, in the refrigerator.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2015
I also will be bringing my Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, and Weekend Potluck. Check out my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Check out my other bar recipes: