My Corn Potato Bacon Chowder is a healthy version of the classic corn chowder. Bonus you can it in the slow cooker. Healthy and easy!
6th recipe in my yearlong series “52 weeks of slow cooker meals”
Well it is the middle of February and winter has finally arrived. The temps are supposed to be the low 20’s for highs the next 7 days with snow every other day. The kids might even get a day 0ff from school. Great! When it gets cold it is definitely soup time. I love clam chowder but I am the only one in my family with the acquired taste. I really wanted to make a chowder so I decided to make a corn and potato chowder with bacon. Typically this soup, which is creamed based, is very very very high in calories and fat. Since we are still trying to eat healthier around the Caudill household, I decided to use 2 cups fat-free half & half, along with 1 cup of regular cream and 2 tablespoons of low-fat buttermilk instead of all heavy cream.
Last week JENNIE-O® was nice enough to send me some low-fat turkey bacon and breakfast sausage to try as part of their Wake up the Flavor campaign. JENNIE–O® knows that meal planning is hard, but it is easier when using their Turkey Bacon & Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage. The campaign is geared to quick make ahead breakfast and dinner recipes. I thought the bacon would be perfect for my Healthier Corn Potato Bacon Chowder for the Slow Cooker. What a great opportunity to give their bacon a go. I cooked my bacon in the oven, but it also crisps up nicely in the microwave. Check here for a link to great recipes and a Coupon.
So to make my Healthier Corn Potato Bacon Chowder all you need to do is chop your vegetables and sauté the onions, red pepper and garlic for a few minutes. When softened, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute to make a roux. Whisk in the cream and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Throw the corn and potatoes in the slow cooker. Stir in the cream mixture and cook on low for 4-5 hours until potatoes are soft. Serve with cooked bacon and chopped green onion.
My Healthier Corn Potato Bacon Chowder could also be made on the stove in a dutch oven. Just cook until potatoes are tender about 35-40 minutes.
- 1 tbsp . olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced ( I used red onion )
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 10- ounce bags frozen yellow corn
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp low fat buttermilk optional
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes chopped into 1 inch pieces, about 9 potatoes
- teaspoon salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 each)
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked and diced
- green onion sliced
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and pepper to pan and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and Italian seasoning, stir and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Whisk in buttermilk, cream, half and half and 2 cups chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour into slow cooker.
- Add corn, potatoes, to slow cooker.
- Stir to combine and cook on low for 6 hours until potatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cooked bacon and chopped green onions.
Inspired by Creme de la Crumb's recipe Slow Cooker Corn Potato Bacon Chowder
I also will be bringing Chocolate Raspberry Tart to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Click here to pin for later:
“I did not receive any compensation for this post. I did receive products from JENNIE–O® to review and use, All opinions are my own.”