I started making these Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies back in 1999. Man that was a long time ago. I found the recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine Christmas addition that year. It was an incredible issue and I am still making 3 or 4 of those cookies each Christmas.
These Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies are a great mix of pecan pie in a cookie/candy little bar. The crumbly shortbread crust is also a perfect accompaniment to the chewy pecan caramel topping. They will make a wonderful gift for co-workers or to give out at the neighborhood cookie exchange.It takes a little time to make these Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies but the skill level is very easy.Method: In a food processor mix together the dry ingredients for the crust. With food processor running, add butter and pulse until dough is crumbly and comes together. Press dough onto prepared 13x9x2 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. When shortbread crust is lightly brown and set, start making the topping. In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in brown sugar and light corn syrup, bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then add pecans and cream. Boil until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla and pour hot mixture over warm shortbread crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into diamonds.
[ctt title=”You know you want to share my recipe for Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies with your Friends. So go ahead and Tweet!” tweet=”Click http://wp.me/p6nyGi-1bh to get the recipe for Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies from http://ctt.ec/faoJ9+ @qbirdie2000″ coverup=”faoJ9″]
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 2 sticks
- 1 1/4 cups lite brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 1/2 stick
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 13x9x2 baking dish with foil, leaving 1-inch overhang on all sides.
- Grease foil with butter.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt in food processor.
- While processor is running, add butter and pulse process until mixture begins to clump together.
- Press dough evenly onto bottom of foil-lined baking dish.
- Bake crust until lightly golden brown and set, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand while preparing topping.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and light corn syrup and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute then add pecans and cream.
- Boil for about 3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in vanilla and pour hot mixture over warm shortbread crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on cooking rack.
- Lift foil out of pan onto cutting board.
- Using a heavy sharp knife, cut Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies into 11/2x1 inch diamonds.
Click here to pin for later:
More Holiday recipes for you to try: