I started making these Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies back in 1999. Man, that was a long time ago. I found the recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine Christmas edition that year. It was an incredible issue and I am still making 3 or 4 of those cookies each year.
These Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies are a great mix of pecan pie in a cookie/candy little bar. The crumbly shortbread crust is also a perfect accompaniment to the chewy pecan caramel topping. They will make a wonderful gift for co-workers or to bring to the neighborhood cookie exchange.
It takes a little time to make these Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies but the skill level is very easy.
Method: In a food processor mix together the dry ingredients for the crust. With the food processor running, add butter and pulse until dough is crumbly and comes together.
Press dough onto the prepared 13x9x2 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. When shortbread crust is lightly brown and set, start making the topping. In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar and light corn syrup, bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then add pecans and cream. Boil until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
Stir in vanilla and pour hot mixture over the warm shortbread crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into diamonds.
- 2 cups all-purpose King Arthur flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups lite brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 stick
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 13x9x2 baking dish with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides.
- Grease foil with butter.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt in food processor.
- While the processor is running, add butter and pulse process until mixture begins to clump together.
Press dough evenly onto bottom of the foil-lined baking dish.
- Bake crust until lightly golden brown and set, about 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand while preparing the topping.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and light corn syrup and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute, then add pecans and cream.
- Boil for about 3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in vanilla and pour hot mixture over the warm shortbread crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Lift foil out of the pan onto cutting board.
- Using a heavy sharp knife, cut Pecan Diamond Shortbread Cookies into 11/2x1 inch diamonds.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2015 modified ©2017
-To make cutting easier freeze for hour. -Can be made 1 week ahead. Store between sheets of waxed paper in airtight container at room temperature. -Also freezes well. (Recipe modified from Epicurious.com Chewy Pecan Diamonds
Click here to pin for later:
More Holiday recipes for you to try: