Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade probably isn’t what your mother had in mind when she told you to eat your veggies.
Spring is definitely on its way. Hopefully you are starting to think about your garden and looking forward to fresh vegetables. Since we are months away from fresh produce, I am bringing you a recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade. The bloggers at Sunday Supper Movement are also bringing you wonderful new ways to cook with root vegetables usually served over the long winter.
When I was a kid I remember my mom cooking beets’ for dinner. Back then they were not a personal favorite but then again she didn’t make marmalade. I often cook sweet potatoes for my kids and they have really started to like them, especially when I make my roasted veggie hash. I make many types of jams and marmalade, but this was a first using beetroot.
Okay so I am not sure how healthy my biscuits and marmalade are, but they are so good. I was a little skeptical about the beetroot marmalade, but the flavor and the texture of the beets’ work perfect. The beets’ give the marmalade a slight tartness which compliments the orange. Very simple and makes just the right amount. I decided to make the Sweet Potato Biscuits to incorporate another, more well-known, root vegetable. The biscuits were fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness, and paired perfectly with the Beet Orange Marmalade.
Beetroots are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Here is a little information on the versatile root vegetable.
- The beetroot is a root vegetable, scientifically known as Beta vulgaris.
- It is also known as red beet, table beet, garden beet, or simply beet.
- Packed with essential nutrients, beetroots are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin C.
- Beetroots and beetroot juice have been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow, lower blood pressure and increased exercise performance.
- Many of these health benefits are due by their high content of inorganic nitrates.
- Beetroots are delicious when eaten raw, but are more frequently cooked or pickled. Their leaves can also be cooked and enjoyed like spinach.
- While beets are available throughout the year, their season runs from June through October when the youngest, most tender beets are easiest to find. Beets 101 by Authority Nutrition
Our family tries to sit down for dinner together at least 4 times a week. During spring and fall it’s not easy because of the kids sports and work schedules. We always try to sit down for Sunday diner. I think roasted pork or spring lamb, with some glazed carrots and my Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade would be perfect for a Sunday Supper together with your family.
Click here to pin for later:
If you think root vegetables are just potatoes and yams, well think again. The Sunday Supper community has come together this week to show you amazing dishes that can be made with root vegetables. From appetizers to dessert and every meal in between.
#SundaySupper Root Vegetables:
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
If you like what you see, please sign up to receive all my new recipes via email. I will never sell your information and I will not spam your inbox. I usually send out a newsletter once a week.