Strawberry Sugar Muffins is the ultimate breakfast or dessert. The sauce is made with fresh strawberries and served over sweet sugar cookie muffins.
So my Strawberry Sugar Muffins is an incredible twist on strawberry shortcakes. I was trying to figure out a recipe to use up the abundance of fresh strawberries available this time of year…. TIME OUT!! My recipe for Strawberry Sugar Muffins would have been posted a week ago but for some reason my local grocery had issues getting fresh strawberries from their supplier. For four days in a row I went to buy fresh berries and nothing, Very FRUSTRATING!
Okay, I am off my high horse. Well, it was worth the wait. I made the strawberry sauce for my Strawberry Sugar Muffins in the slow cooker but you could easily make it on the stove. but hey I am always looking for new slow cooker recipes since I am trying to post one recipe a week for a year. I think I need revise my expectations to 26 weeks of slow cooker recipes. Once a week is a little overwhelming and besides you can only make Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs so many ways. Check out my Crock Pot Cooking page for more inspiration.
METHOD: Making my Strawberry Sugar Muffins is a 3 step process but fairly simple. To make the muffins, sift together your dry ingredients. Cream together the butter and sugar and then add in the egg yolk one at a time. Slowly add the flour mixture and milk/cream, alternating between the two, until well combined. Mix in vanilla. Pour the batter into 12 prepared muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F to create a larger muffin top. Continuing baking at 35o°F for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with granular sugar.
To make the strawberry sauce: whisk together water and sugar in a 2 quart slow cooker until sugar is dissolved. Add the strawberries and cook on medium, 2-3 hours, until thickened; stirring occasionally. If needed add in 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water and stir into strawberries. Cook on high for anther 15 minutes until thickened. The sauce can be cooked on the stove by bringing the water/sugar mix to a boil. Add strawberries and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes until thickened and reduced by half. If you want to make fresh whipped cream, add sugar to a chilled metal bowl. Add the cream and vanilla and beat on medium low until stiff peaks form. Do not over-mix or you will be making butter.To serve cut top off the muffin, pour on the strawberry sauce and top with whipped cream.
- 2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sticks unsalted butter room temperature, 12
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3 tsp vanilla
- sugar for topping
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups strawberries , halved
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Grease and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour's, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar for 3 minutes, on medium speed, until smooth and creamy.
- Add yolks one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition.
- Mix in dry ingredients and milk/cream in 3 additions alternating between each ending in flour mix. Scrape down sides and beat one low speed until well combined. Mix in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared cups and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F.
- Turn town oven to 350°F and continue to bake for anther 15 to 20 minutes until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle tops with sugar.
- In a 2 quart slow cooker, whisk together water and sugar, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add prepared strawberries and cook on medium for 2-3 hours until thickened; stirring occasionally.
- If needed add in 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water and stir into strawberries.
- Cook on high for anther 15 minutes until thickened.
- Keep warm or serve cold.
- Place sugar into a chilled mixing bowl.
- Pour in whipping cream and vanilla.
- Using a hand mixer mix on low until stiff peaks form Do not over mix or the whipped cream will become lumpy and turn to butter.
- Store in airtight container. Rework if needed before serving.
I also will be bringing my Strawberry Sugar Muffins recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Quinn is the author, photographer and recipe designer over at DadWhats4Dinner. He enjoys cooking for family and friends and being creative in the kitchen. He makes ordinary everyday food extraordinary. He lives just north of Cincinnati with his wife of 24 years, three kids and three cats. My kids have well-developed palates and my youngest daughter is now working with me on the blog creating recipes for her own page “Cooking with Ella“. Follow Quinn | Dad Whats 4 Dinner on: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.