Who needs a campfire when you can make these awesome little S’mores Hand Pies. Perfect for when it is inconvenient to make traditional S’mores.
We had a fun, end of school, pool party last weekend with our best friends. They are great taste testers so I always try to create something new and get their opinion. I usually don’t make desserts because the other two families make awesome sweet treats. But I have had mini hand pies on my mind. I made a batch of mixed berry hand pies but my daughter wanted something chocolaty. My fruit hand pies tasted great but were not blog worthy. I will make another batch soon and see if I can get them to look better. It is all about the pics don’t you know!! But these S’mores Hand Pies looked and tasted great. So here is my easy recipe for you to take to your next pool party or cookout.
S’mores Hand Pies
I made my own pie dough but this could easily be made with refrigerated pie crust. Homemade pie dough is so easy to make, but if you are in a rush the store-bought dough will work fine. It is important to keep the pie dough chilled before rolling out. The filling is very easy to make in the microwave. First microwave the marshmallows for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and microwave for another 30 seconds. Add chocolate chips and microwave for another 30 seconds and stir.
If not completely melted microwave for another 30 seconds. Allow to cool. Roll out the dough, brush with melted butter and cut into 2-inch circles. Dip rounds into crushed graham crackers and place on greased cookie sheet. Top each round with 1 tablespoon of s’mores filling and top with a mini marshmallow or 1/4 of a regular size marshmallow. Cover with a second pie round dipped in crumbs. Crimp edges with a fork. Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 11-14 minutes until golden brown.
What is your favorite campfire recipe?
- 4 cups King Arthur AP Flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups cold unsalted butter. cut into cubes.
- 1 cup sour cream, cold
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 cups marshmallows, plus more for filling top
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- In a mixing bowl sift flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the butter, mix it in to make a coarse/crumbly mixture until the dough is in pea-sized pieces.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and bring it together with a few quick kneads.
- Pat the dough into a rough log, and roll it into an 8" x 10" rectangle.
- Dust both sides of the dough with flour.
- Starting with a shorter end, fold it in three like a business letter.
- Flip the dough over, give it a 90° turn on your work surface, and roll it again into an 8" x 10" rectangle.
- Fold it in three again.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine crushed graham cracker and sugar in a bowl, set aside.
- Add marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the marshmallows on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Add chocolate chips and microwave for another 30 seconds, stir.
- If not completely melted microwave for another 30 seconds. Allow to cool.
- Roll out the dough, brush with melted butter and cut into 2-inch circles.
- Dip rounds into crushed graham crackers and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Top each round with 1 tablespoon of s'mores filling and top with a mini marshmallow or 1/4 of a regular size marshmallow.
- Cover with a second pie round dipped in crumbs.
- Crimp edges with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 11-14 minutes until golden brown.
Check out my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
Check out some of my other summer favorites: