My easy Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Stew is an awesome weeknight meal. Loaded with protein and veggies.
This is the 12th recipe in my yearlong series “26 Weeks Of Slow Cooker Meals” Make sure you check out all my easy slow cooker meals at my Crock Pot Recipe page.
Can you believe Cinco De Mayo is only a month away. That means summer is almost here. I had to brake down and mow my grass for the first time this year. That means for the next three months I will be mowing at least two times a week. The first grass mow also signals the start of spring soccer season. So needless to say I will be in need of more slow cooker recipes.
There are lots of version of Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Stew on the web. I was going to call this recipe Pork Pozole but to make it authentic you need to use hominy. Corn hominy is used as a thickener for Pozole which is similar to a gumbo. My Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Stew is thickened with the addition of black beans.
Feel free to add hominy or any other ingredients you might have in your pantry. That’s the beauty of many of my slow cooker recipes, you can add or take away any ingredients you like or have in the house. Simple, healthy and tasty is the way to go to give your family a great weeknight meal.
To make Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Stew simply remove excess fat from your pork. Cube and season with cumin, salt and pepper. Throw it in the slow cooker.
Toss in the vegetables, beans, tomatoes and the chicken broth. Cook on low for about 5 hours. Serve as is or over white or Spanish rice.
- 2-3 lbs pork, cubed
- 1 tbsp new mexico chile powder (mild, medium, or hot)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) container Dei Fratelli Truly Tomato brand rustic cut tomatoes with sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can corn or 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) diced green chilies
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12.7 ounce) package frozen Birds Eye Southwest Style Protein Blend
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Trim fat from pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, season with next 4 ingredients.
- Add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes through garlic to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5 hours until pork reaches 150°F.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2016
I also will be bringing Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Stew to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties Page for other great places to find new recipes.
You might also like my: