For Cinco de Mayo my Mexican Cheesecake Flan Brownie is the perfect marriage of two wonderful desserts. Luscious chocolate brownie topped with creamy flan!This is the final addition to my Cinco de Mayo series. Mexican desserts are not always easy to come up with even though many great recipes exist. My new recipe for Mexican Cheesecake Flan Brownie is a combination of two great Mexican desserts. Brownie and Flan.
For the brownie I use a box of Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix with the addition of cinnamon, Mexican chili powder and cinnamon chips. The flan is also a very simple recipe using only five ingredients. I also made some hard caramel glass as a decorative addition, but I think the dish would be great with a simple caramel sauce. Enjoy this with my other Cinco de Mayo recipes, Mexican Black Bean Dip and Mexican Ground Turkey Sopes.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- 1 box Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips. You can also substitute butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 (14 osweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ocan evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In mixing bowl combine first 3 ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together next 3 ingredients.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients with mixer on low-speed.
- Mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in cinnamon chips.
- Pour mixture into baking dish
- Beat cream cheese and sugar in mixing bowl to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Beat in evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over brownie mixture. Use a knife to lightly swirl flan mixture into brownie mix.
- Bake uncovered for 60-70 minutes until flan is lightly brown and set. An inserted toothpick should come out clean.
- Cool completely before cooking.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray. Set baking sheet on top of cooling rack to protect counter tops.
- In heavy bottom medium size sauce pan add all ingredients.
- Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- When sugar mixture starts to simmer, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes to remove sugar crystals from sides of pan.
- Remove lid and place a candy thermometer in pan. Do not stir and increase heat to medium high.
- Watch temperature closely. When temperature reaches 300 degrees F turn down heat to medium.
- When temp reaches 315 degrees remove from heat and pour into prepared baking sheet.
- Cool complete.
First published by Quinn Caudill for DadWhats4Dinner.com ©2013
I will be bringing my Mexican Cheesecake Flan Brownie recipe to Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, What’s Cooking Wednesdays. Checkout my Link Parties page for other great places to find new recipes.
You might also like my: