Ring in the New Year with my Hot Cuban Dip. Easy to make and tastes just like the iconic sandwich. A great appetizer any time of year!
Every December our monthly dinner group goes out instead of our usual traveling dinner. Before dinner, we tried our hand at Escape the Room Challenge. Escape the Room is a challenging game where you use your wits and each other to find clues, solve puzzles, and get the key to your freedom.
After escaping we went to a new restaurant in the area called Pies and Pints. I believe this is a chain but it is a nice casual restaurant with tons of specialty pizzas and hundreds of craft beers. On the menu, they had a Cuban pizza and a Cuban sandwich. I ordered the sandwich which was a very good traditional Cuban, but it also included jalapenos.
Let me tell you the jalapenos packed a nice bit of heat. So as I was eating the Cuban my mind started thinking how this would make a great dip. I was right. I had purchased a small pork shoulder earlier in the week which I was planning to smoke on Sunday.
This made for a great opportunity to make my Cuban dip using freshly smoked pork. It is not necessary to smoke your own pork to make my Hot Cuban Dip. You can purchase a smoked pork chop or a cottage ham at your grocery store.
My Hot Cuban Dip tastes just like the sandwich and is super simple to put together. Mix your ingredients.
Top with a little more mustard, pickles, and Swiss cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve with Cuban bread for a more authentic taste. If you cannot find Cuban bread serve with Italian or crackers.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you for visiting, supporting and helping Dad Whats 4 Dinner grow. Can’t wait for all the opportunities 2016 will bring. –Best Quinn!!!!
- 1 cup smoked pork cubed or shredded
- 2/3 cup ham chopped
- 1 cream cheese softened, 8oz
- 6 oz Swiss cheese shredded
- 1/4 low-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard divided
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard can substitute brown or Dijon
- 1/2 cup dill pickles chopped
- 1/2 tbsp dry onion soup mix see recipe
- 1/4 cup green onion diced
- Chopped Jalapenos Optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl mix together pork, ham, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, 2 tbsp yellow mustard, stone ground mustard, onion soup mix, 1/4 cup pickles and 3 ounces Swiss cheese.
- Using a hand mixer or spoon, blend until combined
- Spread mixture in oven proof baking dish.
- Spread remaining mustard and pickles.
- Top with remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden and edges are bubbling.
- Top with green onion.
- Serve with fresh Cuban bread or crackers.
Click here to pin for later: