Every December our monthly dinner group goes out instead of our usual traveling dinner. Before dinner we tried our hand at Escape the Room Challenge. Escape the Room is a challenge game where you use your wits and each other to find clues, solve puzzles, and get the key to your freedom. We were locked in a room and had 60 minutes to solve the puzzle and get free. We have a fun competitive group and with a great team effort we solved the puzzle with 3 minutes to spare.
After escaping we went to a new restaurant in the area called Pies and Pints. I believe this is a chain but it is a nice casual restaurant with tons of specialty pizza’s and hundreds of craft beers. On the menu they had a Cuban pizza and a Cuban sandwich. I ordered the sandwich which was a very good traditional Cuban, but it also included jalapenos. Let me tell you the jalapenos packed a nice bit of heat. So as I was eating the Cuban my mind started thinking how this would make a great dip. I was right. I had purchased a small pork shoulder earlier in the week which I was planning to smoke on Sunday. This made for a great opportunity to make my Cuban dip using fresh smoked pork. It is not necessary to smoke your own pork to make my Hot Cuban Dip. You can purchase a smoked pork chop or a cottage ham at your grocery store.
My Hot Cuban Dip taste just like the sandwich and is super simple to put together. Mix your ingredients. Top with a little more mustard, pickles and Swiss cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with Cuban bread for a more authentic taste. If you cannot find Cuban bread serve with Italian or crackers.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you for visiting, supporting and helping Dad Whats 4 Dinner grow. Can’t wait for all the opportunities 2016 will bring. –Best Quinn!!!!
- 1 cup smoked pork cubed or shredded
- 2/3 cup ham chopped
- 1 cream cheese softened, 8oz
- 6 oz Swiss cheese shredded
- 1/4 low-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard divided
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard can substitute brown or Dijon
- 1/2 cup dill pickles chopped
- 1/2 tbsp dry onion soup mix see recipe
- 1/4 cup green onion diced
- Chopped Jalapenos Optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl mix together pork, ham, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, 2 tbsp yellow mustard, stone ground mustard, onion soup mix, 1/4 cup pickles and 3 ounces Swiss cheese.
- Using a hand mixer or spoon, blend until combined
- Spread mixture in oven proof baking dish.
- Spread remaining mustard and pickles.
- Top with remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden and edges are bubbling.
- Top with green onion.
- Serve with fresh Cuban bread or crackers.
[ctt title=”Tweet to share with your followers my recipe for Hot Cuban Dip. Easy to make and tastes just like the iconic sandwich.” tweet=”Ring in the New Year with my Hot Cuban Dip from http://ctt.ec/y3V1c+ #recipe #dip #newyear” coverup=”y3V1c”]
Click here to pin for later: